Ashe Background

Ashe Background

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Tiny Hero

In keeping with tradition, I thought I would publish my fourth (and final) blog post.  As with the rest of our children, I seize the opportunity to take over the reins of Destiny's coveted blog in an attempt to relay the news of our most recent family additions.  While many people were out playing the lottery or getting married on 10/11/12, we were blessed with winning our own lottery as we welcomed Eli Eugene Ashe into the world.  I couldn't dig up any ancient proverb or mystical association with having a child on a sequential date, however, there are only two more chances for such an event this century...11-12-13 and 12-13-14.  So, for the rest of our superstitious friends and family out there, hop on the love train because this offer won't last long!

As my prize bride illustrated in her previous post, the events leading up to this occasion were filled with twists, turns and conundrums that would challenge even the most talented Hollywood scriptwriter.  We were just about to put Destiny's mom back on a plane to New Mexico since we had no clue when this child would be born, but me being such a laid back guy (and cheapskate), decided not to buy a last minute plane ticket.  Instead, I told her I would go to work the next day and we would wait and see what happens.  I don't know if it was the power of prayer or the power of Destiny's persuasion, which can be effective in dire circumstances, but I received a call from Dest at about 10:00 am yesterday telling me that the Doctor said it was showtime.  I'm hoping no threatening calls were made by Dest to the hospital, but we made it to the hospital by 12:00 pm with no involvement from civil authorities.

After Destiny was hooked up to all her machines, they did an ultrasound to measure the circumference of Eli's head.  It had grown quite a bit from the last ultrasound and was measuring at 40 weeks and 5 days even though Eli was only 33 weeks and some change.  The docs then presented us with our next challenge of the day.  Should we go for the c-section or give 'er the old college effort and try to push this kid out.  Luckily, Destiny brought her stash of suck it up from home and she decided against the c-section.  They started inducing her and her contractions started popping right away, but she wasn't dilating at all.  I thought I was at a fruit stand because the docs were talking about the uterus ripening and giving her cocktails to help speed things along.  After a few more hours, one of the contraptions the docs used worked and she was well on her way.  Well, like a person trying to shed a bunch of weight, Destiny plateaued and we were content with the fact that she would probably have a c-section in the morning.

Fast forward to 6:00 am today.  The docs came in and checked Dest and she had progressed some from the middle of the night.  They were still concerned that the head wouldn't drop, but were still going to try the normal route.  At this point, Dest is drugged up with her epidural, so she is in a right state of mind and reminds the doc that she wants her tubes tied after all is said and done.  I am by no means a doctor, however, I consider myself somewhat educated on what certain procedures do and what they are for...i.e a "tubal ligation".  It was six o'clock in the morning and with no sleep, I can't exactly tell you verbatim what the doctor said, but it was the most asinine explanation of why the current night crew couldn't do a tubal because they weren't trained and didn't have the documentation.  For my military brethren out there, I'm sure you've had the doc pull up WebMD while you were in the office with them, so I though what the hell....bust out the iPad and I'll pull one up on Youtube.  Another one of her concerns was that she was sure if we knew that this procedure was permanent and that regret was the number one side effect.  After tranquilizing mama bear (Dest) so she wouldn't jump out of bed and strangle a certain individual, she calmly explained that this would be the second special needs child out of four and she and I were definitely done.  Again, her powers of persuasion are a force to be reckoned with.

Ok...I'm going to end soon, I promise.  Well, 6:45 am rolls around and they check Dest and we still have a little way to go.  In her most patient manner, she sits up and starts gyrating around.  A few minutes later, she complains to the docs that her epidural is wearing off because she can feel the contractions.  They were about to give her a little more juice, but decided to check her once again.  Apparently in all her commotion, she shook the little guy loose and was ready to rock.  After three pushes, little Eli was born at 7:13 am weighing 5lbs 6 ozs and 19.25 in long.  He had a little issue breathing since he was premature, but the docs gave him some drugs and he was soon breathing comfortably with no outside intervention or oxygen supply.  He is proving to be tough like his sister Lexie and refuses to sit by and let hydro stop him.  They transferred him to the NICU and he'll be there until he recovers and is strong enough to come home.

After I visited with the little guy for a while, I went back to check on Dest who was still in bed with her epidural.  She said she was scheduled for the tubal shortly, so they were going to leave it in until the surgery.  Of course, three c-sections come in and Dest is bumped to the back of the line after each one.  Finally, after eight hours, Destiny is out of surgery and resting comfortably in her room....and cursing me because I put her in this situation.

 In our house, we have this little thing called the Hero Award.  It isn't a tangible item or something with intrinsic value, but more of a pat on the back, you can have ice cream, do what you want type of award.  We usually give it to the kid who does best when we go out in public or when they are good for the day.  I'm deviating from standard protocol today, because Destiny definitely earned the hero award.  I've watched her go through this process four times and I'm constantly amazed at her grace and poise as she's going through excruciating pain and checking on her other kids at the same time.  She even has to console me as I freak out and my blood pressure skyrockets every time a doctor walks in the room.  The last two pregnancies have not been the easiest on her, but she has treated each the same by pouring her heart and soul into making sure our babies are well cared for.  She has been through hundreds of therapy sessions, doctors appointments, diaper blowouts and other fantastic surprises of parenting while I was at work.  Each time, I look at those booger nosed kids I can't do anything but smile as I realize we are truly blessed to have such an amazing woman as my wife and their mother.  As we prepare for little Eli to go into surgery to place his shunt tomorrow morning, I know she'll be there right by his side to protect him as he faces this next challenge in his life.  Cheers to you bugaboo!

Ok...really done this time.  There are probably a few more tidbits I should have told and will get reprimanded for forgetting them, but you get the picture.  Speaking of which, below are the latest and greatest of Eli.










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! (Eli, Destiny, your writing, your love)

Congratulations!

~Cathi

Unknown said...

Well written, Captain! Destiny is an incredible woman and I have to agree with you that she deserves that Hero Award! Don't sell yourself short though, you deserve a pat on your back as well, she has a great partner by her side, Eric. You two make a great team and compliment each other nicely. Hats off to the both of you for raising such great kids, they are truly blessed to have such great parents like you guys. Congratulations on your last bundle of joy! Hugs to you guys :)

katieowens said...

You guys are awesome and a force to be reckoned with when it comes to your kids. Eli is beautiful and so lucky to have been born into your family. Congratulations! Much love to all of you!

Amy Murphy said...

Wow! Eric, your writing is amazing! It was a riveting story. I know that Destiny earned that Hero Award and it was so touching to see your sweet and powerful words about your wife. You both are amazing! Congratulations! Eli looks great! Much love and prayers!